Government terms "hasty" UN remarks on Venezuelan jail
Foreign Minister Elías Jaua vowed to brief the OHCHR on the events at Uribana jail which claimed 58 lives
"Having assessed the contents of the statement and discussed in the Council of Ministers, we would like to express that we deem the remarks and judgments issued in that statement as hasty," the Foreign Minister said.
However, the senior authority promised that his government had plans to contact the OHCHR in order to provide them with all the information, as appropriate, on the Uribana case.
The riot at the prison located in Lara state took a death toll of 58, in addition to 95 injured.
Jaua said that the Venezuelan government has followed all the UN recommendations as to human rights in jails. "That is a tough battle staged day by day by the national government," he contended.
To the mind of the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights, Venezuelan authorities "are responsible for what happened, because they should look after the welfare of prisoners."
Pillay called for a "prompt investigation," so that those accountable for the violent incident can be identified and the relatives of the victims can be compensated.
No pellets, tear gas or 9mm firearm projectiles were enough. Several unpublished videos confirm what some witnesses had already warned in the very afternoon of February 12: that day, the Bolivarian National Intelligence Service (Sebin) shot a different type of bullets whose ammunition shells were picked up by the very officers who triggered the weapons.