Electoral authority announces closing of voting stations
Director of the National Electoral Council (CNE) Sandra Oblitas said the top electoral body is to disclose election results in a report when there is an irreversible trend
- Opposition alliance: Turnout higher in the afternoon
- Opposition leader calls upon Venezuelans to exercise the right to vote
- Candidates for governor of Carabobo state urge people to vote
- Henrique Capriles: "Failing to cast one's ballot can have a high cost"
- CNE points to lower turnout compared with presidential election
Oblitas said that balloting centers had to end operations at 6 pm, except where voters were still waiting in line to cast their ballot. She explained that upon closing of all voting centers, the results would be transmitted to the headquarters of CNE.
The electoral authority recalled that CNE would issue a first report when there is an irreversible trend in results. "For sure, it will be issued in the coming hours," she said.
Oblitas stressed that political actors and voters should refrain from announcing results before the first official report.
Yamir Tovar (22) and Luis Fabián (21) were subjected by members of a ‘colectivo' (an armed pro-government gang) in the west Caracas neighborhood of Catia on February 20. Their bodies were found tied up and gagged; they were killed by headshots in execution style.