Cuban physicians desert in fear of Chávez's electoral defeat
Since May, 80 Cuban doctors have deserted Venezuela, revealed sources close to health program Misión Barrio Adentro
"Some 22 physicians, including me, deserted the program in different parts of the country in just one week in May (...) It has been at least 80 people per month," commented Yumar Gómez, a Cuban physician who is now in Miami.
In 2011, at least 700 Cuban physicians around the world abandoned the missions provided for under the agreements between the communist Cuban Government and other 66 countries. As many as 500 of those physicians were in Venezuela, cited "Barrio Afuera," an organization that supports Cuban physicians seeking to leave "Barrio Adentro."
"Many believe things are not alright. Some have left because they believe that President Chávez is far from winning the election and his defeat is imminent. Let me tell you this... many do not want to return to Cuba," Gómez asserted.
Early in February President Chávez said that there are 44,804 Cubans working in seven social programs (commonly known as missions) since 2003.
Nevertheless, on October 22, 2010, in an unusual press conference, Cuban Ambassador to Venezuela Rogelio Polanco said that there were "40,000 people cooperating, 30,000 of which are serving as doctors." Thus, 4,804 (12%) additional people arrived in the country in two years.
Translated by Jhean Cabrera
No pellets, tear gas or 9mm firearm projectiles were enough. Several unpublished videos confirm what some witnesses had already warned in the very afternoon of February 12: that day, the Bolivarian National Intelligence Service (Sebin) shot a different type of bullets whose ammunition shells were picked up by the very officers who triggered the weapons.