SOCCER. The Swiss Federal Office of Justice confirmed on Wednesday that Rafael Esquivel, the president of the Venezuelan Soccer Federation (FVF), was among the seven high-ranking officials of the International Federation of Football Association (FIFA) that were arrested in Zurich, Switzerland.
FOREX MARKET. Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro stated on Tuesday that an "attack against local currency" was being prepared from the bordering city of Cúcuta, Colombia, and that relevant countermeasures would be adopted.
Internet is useful for many things. It can identify what people read, the most sought, the most viewed, the most commented, highlights. Also, it is good to make an article, a report, a blog, whatever publication visible. The invisible spider tha (...)
On May 19, The Wall Street Journal reported from anonymous sources in Washington that the US Department of Justice has concluded a two-year investigation of crimes in Venezuela. The story was confirmed by The New York Times on May 20. The US (...)
Aired on state-run TV channel VTV
News This Week
- Ex-presidents Pastrana, Quiroga to visit Leopoldo López in prison
- Venezuela, Russia review agreements in new cooperation areas
- Venezuelan forex agencies to assess hike in foreign exchange rate
- Attorney General: Ceballos was transferred pursuant to court order
- Teachers and workers protest outside Miraflores presidential palace
- Dissenters Ceballos and López's protest plans aired on alleged recording
- Deputy Jesús Faría: gov't ponders "forex simplification"
- Deputy recommends forex unification to reduce distortions
- Two small drug planes crash in Cojedes state in less than 72 hours
- Venezuela asks Exxon Mobil to stop oil prospecting at the Essequibo
- Dissenters Daniel Ceballos, Leopoldo López on hunger strike
- Venezuelan top court terms "unfounded" accusations against Cabello
- Ex-president Felipe González plans visit to Venezuela in June
- Maduro meets with US special envoy to Colombian peace talks
- Venezuela's domestic tourism to drop 60% after increase in air fares
- 1,038 Venezuelans win the US Diversity Visa lottery
- Venezuela, Palestine sign rapprochement and cooperation agreements
- Brazil's Rousseff, Uruguay's Vázquez concerned over Venezuela
- Podemos sues ex-president Aznar over Venezuela-related defamation
Following a wave of nationalizations carried out by the late President Hugo Chavez between 2007 and 2012, Venezuela has become the second most frequent respondent to investment treaty arbitration in the world (38 cases in total), after Argentina.
HUMAN RIGHTS Former presidents of Colombia and Bolivia, Andrés Pastrana and Jorge Quiroga, respectively, will travel to Venezuela on Friday to visit detained dissenter and leader of the Voluntad Popular party Leopoldo López, announced López's wife, Lilian Tintori, who will waive her right to visit his husband so the ex-presidents can meet with him.
HUMAN RIGHTS Venezuelan Attorney General Luisa Ortega Díaz stated on Tuesday that the transfer of former mayor of San Cristóbal municipality, Daniel Ceballos, from Ramo Verde military prison to 26 de Julio prison, in San Juan de los Morros, Guárico state, was made pursuant to a court order issued by a judge and in compliance with all legal procedures.
OPPOSITION On Monday evening, Miguel Pérez Pirela, host of a TV show called "Cayendo y Corriendo" (Falling and Running), broadcasted on state-run TV channel Venezolana de Televisión (VTV), aired an audio recording of an alleged conversation between detained dissenters Leopoldo López, head of the Voluntad Popular Party (VP), and former mayor of San Cristóbal municipality, Daniel Ceballos, where they plan anti-government street demonstrations.
CHILD PSYCHOLOGY Some years ago, separation of parents, games or change of school could be a matter of concern for children. Nowadays, migration and shortage add to this.
SOCIETY For 78% of Caracas residents, quality of life is downhill. In terms of services, they point to a backlash in security, health and transportation compared with five years ago. The findings are included in the latest report produced by NGO Por la Caracas Posible (For a Possible Caracas). The case study assesses the management of five jurisdictions that comprise the Metropolitan Area plus the Major Mayoralty.
EDUCATION Venezuelan public high education institutions have recorded a decline in the number of students enrolled in undergraduate programs. Professors at the Gervasio Rubio Rural Pedagogic Institute (Rubio, southwestern Táchira state), attached to the Libertador Experimental Pedagogical University (UPEL), who are specialists in the areas of social, political, community, and education studies, assessed the external factors that could have led to this social phenomenon, in order to understand the situation facing all Venezuelan universities.