CARACAS, Tuesday August 31, 2010 | Update
Human Rights
The case of Franklin Brito -A chronology
Tuesday August 31, 2010  11:40 AM

2004. Franklin Brito went on hunger strike for the first time to protest for both his and his wife's unfair dismissal and the expropriation of a plot of land owned by him in southern Bolívar state.

Afterwards, he went to the Supreme Tribunal of Justice, where he cut off one of his fingers and radicalized his protest in view of authorities' unresponsiveness.

December 4, 2009. The National Lands Institute (Inti) nullified the land-use certificates of the lands which encompassed Brito's property and promised indemnification for damages.

December 4, 2009. Brito was not happy with the reversal of land-use certificates for deeming it unlawful and refused to get indemnified. Some days later, he went on hunger strike again; this time at the head offices of the Organization of American States (OAS) in Caracas.

December 13, 2009. Metropolitan Police agents went to the OAS head offices and took Brito to the Military Hospital. According to his family members and attorney, the action was against the biologist's will.

December 14, 2009. Ombudsman Gabriela Ramírez hints that Brito "does not show the best mental condition." Reports of the Red Cross, Caracas Clinical Hospital and the Venezuelan Psychologists' Association showed that Brito was of sound mind.

December 27, 2009. Brito sent a letter to the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights (IACHR) to act on his behalf and issue a precautionary measure for him to leave the Military Hospital.

January 14, 2010. The IACHR issued a precautionary measure on behalf of Brito and urged the Venezuelan government to grant "access, treatment and monitoring of Franklin Brito's situation by a trustworthy doctor and/or a doctor provided by the International Red Cross."

March 1, 2010. Brito went again on hunger strike, claiming that the INTI had not fulfilled its promise and there was corruption in the illegal occupation of his farm.

June 5, 2010. Ángela, the farmer's daughter, said that her father health condition was delicate. She reported that Brito also refused to drink anything and his kidneys were endangered.

June 8, 2010. Relatives and NGOs requested the 23rd Control Court to allow the International Red Cross to take care of Brito, as ruled in January by the IACHR.

August 17, 2010. Ángela Brito reported that his father was in poor health condition, which was more and more serious everyday. Brito weighted 38 kilograms and his BMI was below 10 percent.

August 20, 2010. Brito was induced coma at the Intensive Care Unit.

August 30, 2010. Brito died at the Caracas Military Hospital. Early reports pointed to a heart attack.

Translated by Conchita Delgado

A foretaste of homegrown jihad

Three Venezuelans and five Trinidadians will stand trial on January 26 under the suspicion of being involved in alleged Muslim terrorist activities in Venezuela.  After nine months in prison, the defendants will appear in court to face charges of terrorism brought against them by the Attorney General Office.

  •  Read Estampas
Alianzas Estampas